When your business grows, you will need to expand some of the things your company handles. One of those is your supply chain. If handling and shipping is getting to be too much for your company, outsourcing that supply chain to a 3PL may be the next logical step.
But it’s important to find the 3PL that will work best for your company, not just the lowest bidder. Since every company’s needs are different, it’s impossible for a rep to just give you a “ballpark figure.” By working with you to discover what’s best for your company, they can give you an ideal quote on exactly what you need instead just of a “price” that may or may not include what you want.
Selecting The Best 3PL For Your Company
In previous blogs, we’ve discussed the many factors to consider when choosing a 3PL provider, such as:
- Their warehouse system, and number of locations available
- Warehouse security systems
- If the company can handle FTL (full truckload) as well as LTL (less than truckload)
- Call centers and other customer service functions
- Order management, including returns
- Scalability for seasonal fluctuations
- A company’s stability
- A range of capabilities that work for your company
- A company that will partner with you for the long haul
- Current and robust supply chain technology
- A provider that believes in continuous improvement
- Up-to-date on best practices
But the other side of that equation is what a 3PL company considers when quoting their services to a client company like yours.
Drafting A 3PL Quote
Like you, a 3PL company has to take into consideration your company’s needs and what you’re asking for in supply chain services.
- Size of your company
- Location of your business
- Areas your company ships to
- Types of products your company ships
- Special needs and services you may request
- Volume of products you ship
- Where most of your orders originate, and where you need warehousing
- Potential fluctuations and adjustments
- Cost per unit, and based on volume
- Their own services and costs
Additionally, a 3PL will need answers to questions like:
- What problems are they trying to solve?
- Will they need services that we need to outsource to another company?
- What is the current state of their supply chain? Is it in-house or outsourced somewhere else?
- How can we make the transition from in-house to outsourcing easier for them?
- How many channels are they currently selling on?
- Can our IT systems integrate with theirs, or will we need to move to a web-based interface for them?
Choosing a 3PL will require you to make a number of decisions in order to decide which one will benefit your company the most. Ultimately, you’ll be partnering with another company, so it’s important to work with one that you can trust. Understanding how a 3PL can benefit your company will make choosing the right company a little easier.
Contact 3PL Worldwide For A Unique 3PL Quote For Your Company
3PL Worldwide can offer your company logistical services as well as additional services such as a call center, warehouse space in Connecticut and Southern California, as well as product transport to nearly anywhere in the US or worldwide. Although we’re based in Southern California, we can work with you no matter where you’re located in the US. Call us today at (877) 444-0002 or use our online contact form.